Thursday, February 26, 2009

Cross your fingers! (Edited)

Bryan is at the very top of the waiting list to take his second year apprenticeship classes at NAIT. Classes start Monday, so we are waiting for the call that means he is in. Chances are very very good that someone will drop out or not show up on the first day, and then he's in. We need some positive "get off the list" thoughts please!

** He got the call from NAIT this morning! He is in and starts classes on Monday at 9am. Thanks to everyone for the good vibes!**

The house will be quiet without him here, but it means he's getting ahead in his training, and when he does go back to work it will be with a significant raise in pay. Can't argue with that!

The renos are progressing - demolition is about 90% done, just 2 small areas to take out. Our electrician was here yesterday starting work on the panel upgrade. Once this is done, we won't have to worry about the breaker tripping every time we make toast. (For fun, the entire kitchen is on one circuit, so you can't make coffee and toast at the same time. Or microwave and use the dishwasher. It's a gamble!)

The subfloor and framing materials will be delivered on the 7th, with the subfloor install the following weekend. Then we can start some of the framing before we have to stop to tear up some concrete to put in the bathroom plumbing. (Still have to get the permit, water lines marked etc...) I have the order for the bathroom stuff ready to go - the Despot got over it's Scroogeness and gave us a 20% discount coupon at Christmas this year (last year was sweet nothing...not even a lump of coal) so we save $600 on the bath items plus we qualify for a $500 rebate card from the store. AND we can use the receipts for all these items as a tax credit in 2009. Anything that saves me money is a good thing. I'm cheap. I hate paying full price for anything if I don't have to.

I know, everyone wants to see some pictures. I have to scan some photos, but I will post them as soon as I can. The basement pics I have were taken in 2001, shortly after I signed the papers on the house, but while the previous owner was still here. So everything is VERY old-lady. Wallpaper and pink sheer curtains, and an untouched 1970's basement rumpus room. You'll see.

I will be taking progress pictures from the same angles so you can compare the before, during the rene, more during the reno, still during the reno, are they done yet? during the reno, and finally the after pictures.

Now that we are at this stage, I'm getting more excited about what it will all look like when it's done. I can't wait to have play space for all of us. Even better is that we will be doing most of the work ourselves - with the exception of the furnace, electrical and carpeting.

On the home front, Miss Lily is 90% potty trained. I am so proud of her! She's been dry overnight 6 nights in a row, and doesn't need a Pullup during nap time. She had one accident at playschool, but it was her first day there in big girl panties, and she was too busy having fun. (She made it to the bathroom, but not in time.) My little girl is not so little any more.

Watch for house pictures soon!

No comments: