Tuesday, April 08, 2008

The sounds of spring should NOT include chainsaws cutting down trees that don't need to be cut down.

Once again, the seniors in the 'hood have started their annual tree massacre. I dread this part of spring - you can look down any street in my neighborhood and see "So&So's Tree Removal Service" hacking away at gorgeous 50 year old maples and spruce, the blue haired homeowner directing the crew.

I moved to an established neighborhood because of the trees. My yard had already been subject to some of the cutting before I moved in, leaving an aged lilac, a tall spruce tree and two cedars next to the front door. I have added 3 more trees, and at least 20 shrubs. I plan to add more trees this year. I love the privacy they offer, and the sanctuary they offer for birds and our resident squirrel.

Trees really don't require a lot of maintenance. A little bit of trimming, a little bit of raking and that's it. I try to plant shrubs that don't require a ton of special watering or care. I buy them small, plant them well and then wait and see. Most of them do well, the ones that don't are replaced with something different.

I'm sure the seniors in my area did the same thing with their gardens when they first started out. Now that they have older yards, they don't want the 'bother' of trees or shrubs. So the trees get cut down and yards are left with barren, sterile expanses of grass that need more care than any tree ever did.

It just makes me sad.


No comments: