Saturday, January 02, 2010

Another year...

I truly hope that this year is better than 2009. I feel like everyone else did something with the year while I just stood still.

Despite employment difficulties (thank you, recession of 2008-2009!) Bryan was successful in completing Year 1 and 2 of his plumbing apprenticeship. He heads back to school in March. I am so proud of how hard he has worked - I do hope that this next job is a long and lasting one. He is this close (squishing fingers together) to having all the hours needed to write his ticket. We have plans for him once he has his ticket and has gained some more residential experience in the field...more to come about that.

Lily continues to amaze me with her ability to soak in knowledge. She goes to preschool 2 days a week, and has learned so much. She can confidently count, and wants to know how to write her letters. She learns a lot like me - she has to see and do things at the same time in order for it to absorb. So while most kids learn their numbers and letters by rote, she has to apply a value or a use for the number or letter. This means I get to hear things like "Mumma! There are three of us here; one, two, three. We are a family!" She learned to play Uno and dominoes, and has fun matching and playing memory games as well. I can't wait to see what the rest of the school year will bring.

And me? Well, I want to learn more too. I would love to take another class or start making jewelry again. Since I won't have a studio until the basement is done, and money/time is still tight, a class or two is not in the cards for me right now. I am already away 2 nights a week at work, to miss more would be hard for me and for Lily, and not fair to Bryan either. I guess I will just have to wait.

My outlet will have to be getting the basement project completed. We're at about 33% of the build. Demo, subfloor installation, plumbing rough in and framing are now done. Next up is electrical rough in, more plumbing, then insulation and drywall and ceiling. Finishing will be the fixtures, flooring, painting, trim and decorating.

I think that part of the reason that I feel so stuck is that we've had to put a hold on so much of this work. If the universe had cooperated, then I wouldn't be sitting at the computer upstairs right now. I would be down in my studio space hammering and polishing silver. New plan? Spring? I don't know. All I can do is hope.

No comments: