Saturday, January 23, 2010

Sorry about the weird green dots at the top of each post. When I changed the background, they stayed.

We have light! My electrician was through last week, and after 2 days of work, the basement is now fully wired, lit, cabled, etc. I have to dust off my Home Depot training materials and do some of my own data com wiring (just the jacks) because Bob doesn't do that. He did pull all the wires for me though, so 90% of it is done.

Now we wait for the windows, should be another week or two. After that my husband, ahem, plumber needs to complete the water lines to the bathroom. The we can insulate and drywall!

I can't wait. I am at the point where I can start thinking about finishing materials instead of 2 x 4's. The space is shaping up nicely, and is starting to look like the finished basement that has been in my head for the last oh, 9 years.

That's right, 9 years. Right around this time 9 years ago, I nervously signed the papers to the offer on this house. And right after that I called my dad to tell him I was making an offer on it. What did he say? "I hope you didn't sign anything!" I had to hand the phone to the Realtor, so she could assure him it was fine. (Dad knew her.)

I bought this place on my own, with the hopes of someday having a family here. And now, 9 years later I sit here typing after tucking my sweet daughter into bed. My wonderful husband had dinner waiting for me, and all the laundry done as I came home from work tonight.

I bought a house, but it's now a home.

3 comments:

Carolyn said...

I hope you are taking lots of pictures!!! The prep is always the slow part, unless you are ordering your flooring from the Home Depot ;) It took 3+ months and four separate carpet orders when we finished our basement #&^#@*! Once the drywall goes up, you'll be done in no time. Have you picked paint colours yet?

missmarble said...

We have taken lots. Now that we have light, I can take better pictures. I'm still at the Depot, so I'm hoping they are good to me when/if we get the flooring from there. We are only carpeting the stairs, the main areas will be engineered hardwood or solid bamboo. I have someone to tile the bathroom.

Colors? Not yet, but I have some ideas.

Keltie said...

Take lots of pictures, and I will be happy to do a scrapbook of it for you.