Friday, February 12, 2010

I must enjoy tempting the fates...

Today we spent most of the day watching the final part of the Olympic torch relay, relaxing and making a triple batch of pizza dough.

While the dough was rising and Lily was enjoying a very rare nap, I turned the kettle on so I could have a cup of tea.

Guess who lit a tea towel on fire? Guess who now knows that the brand new hardwired smoke alarm works? And guess who has a kid that heard nothing of the ear splitting peals of electronic beeping just outside her room?

Me. My ears are still ringing.

I either turned on both burners, or just one, and didn't notice where the tea towel was. Whoops.

At any rate, all is fine. Tomorrow is my mom's birthday, 59 and holding. We are getting together on Sunday for pizza and beer. Pizza by me, and beer brought by my brother. I wanted to get the dough made and ready before, so we won't have to do a lot on Sunday.

Isn't Sunday Valentine's day you ask? Yes it is. I really don't like the day, never have. I'm not one for making romantic gestures, and I refuse to let Bryan pay $40 a dozen for roses when at any other time of year they are $15. And I would rather be surprised by roses at random times throughout the year than wondering 'what color will I get this year?' So we don't really celebrate it.

There may or may not be heart shaped dessert. We will see.

Some good news - the basement windows are now in, and the installers will be here on Monday to start installing them. Yay! Warmer basement with windows that actually open. Once these are done, then my plumber (ahem, you know who you are!) can finish the water lines, we can insulate and the FINALLY drywall!

I can't wait.

3 comments:

sleeplessnights04 said...

Stirling has been prepping for V-day for weeks; so sorry to his teachers who probably no longer find the numerous cards as endearing and sweet anymore. He also made V-day start of Thursday, saving money :o) He and dad had to go buy "gas". but much cheaper I'm pretty sure. We also plan to do dinner tonight, hoping to save some mula. Hope you have a reat weekend!

Carolyn said...

I agree about the v-day stuff. It's too forced so I'd rather not. As for the nap interruption, that is just tragic. Bummer Carrie.

missmarble said...

Carolyn - she slept right through the alarm going off twice. She didn't believe either one of us that it had happened.

Bryan came home from Safeway with two lovely bunches of carnations, one for me and one for her. That was perfect!