Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring Surprises

Lily surprised me last week when she asked if we could go to church on Sunday. While we were raised going to church, Bryan's family is not particularly religious. He comes with us to the Christmas Eve service and that's about it. We were married at Grace and Lily was baptised there but I haven't put as much of an effort in attending as I would like to. I want to go, and would like to go more often - honestly I have no idea why I don't just go. Lily and I went when she was small.

So this week was week 2 of back to church. Lily did really well considering it was fairly unfamiliar. Things she liked: seeing her twin cousins Luke and Sophia again, seeing Auntie Grace, going up for the children's message, and playing floor hockey in the gym after church. Things she didn't like: the loud pipe organ (there was a different organist today and he like to open ALL the stops and play it loud.) and how long the service was. She only played the potty card once, which I should have preempted by taking her there before the service started. My bad. It was a Communion service, so it was a bit longer than last week.

It's a bit frustrating trying to keep in tune with the service and the message while trying to make sure you don't have one of 'those' kids in church. Next time I will go armed with more props. Gum, fruit treats and the promise of mom's off-limits pen wasn't enough. Next week is Palm Sunday, so there will be more for her to pay attention to.

Another thing that she surprised me with this week was her asking for some music. I don't like a quiet house or car, so I always have the radio tuned to CKUA. The other morning Lily said "Mumma, the house is quiet, can we have some soft music?"

Music is and always has been such an integral part of my life. From music at church, to family playing fiddle and guitar at reunions out at the farm, all my years in band, to my dad's unfortunate forays into country (Remember the California trip and the Oakridge Boys tape?) to seasons seats at the Symphony, Folk Fest nights, seedy basement gigs during my brother's band days, hanging out at Yardbird Suite in high school, gate crashing at Fiddler's Roost when all of us were 2 years under age after the Yardbird gigs - all of this music and more is in my head and heart.

I want Lily to have the same love for music that I grew up with. I disliked piano lessons, but it led to band and so many more things. I have traveled across the city, province, country and to the other side of the world because of my music. I hope that Lily has the same opportunity.

I've been missing having some kind of creative outlet, but I have also forgotten that listening to music brings some of that creativity in as well. I have been playing around on itunes looking for new artists to listen to, and this is leading to more things. I want and need to have an outlet. Writing is one way of getting there, gardening will be another. I really want to get back into designing and making some silver jewelry again. I am having a lot of fun with baking lately, and have been intrigued by simple furniture making.

Time to buy a new sketchbook I think. I have some work to do. Spring is here and it's time for new beginnings, even if the beginnings have roots in old forgotten talents that I probably don't give myself enough credit for.


1 comment:

sleeplessnights04 said...

I know the feeling, all the best, you will find yourself again, I promise :o)