Sunday, October 29, 2006

Everyone has a soundtrack to their life, be it music or the everyday sounds that one encounters day in and day out.

I love to listen for the song of the first robin of the season, as celery green leaves pop out on trees and crocuses peek through the crumbly dirt in my garden. Hearing a steady staccato patter of rain on the metal roof of the cabin during a thunder storm is the best way to fall asleep in the summer. I love the rustle of the leaves in the fall, when the air smells like smoke and you want to nestle into a comfortable chair and sip hot chocolate while reading a great book. The squeaky crunch of the first snow as the dog leaps ahead on the trail, when the only other sound is your own breathing and the twitter of unseen birds in the bushes, is the best part of winter.

I thought all these sounds were beautiful until today.

Today my daughter discovered her voice. My music today was her. Listening to her shy, soft, pretty little voice melts my heart. Tonight she sat on her grandpa's lap and had a sweet little conversation with him - looking into his eyes as he looked into hers. Later on she sat and had a talk with her grandma, and the look on my mom's face was pure bliss.

I love these little moments - they are brief, but they stay in your heart forever.

No comments: