Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Good fences do make for good neighbors.

Sunday night, after we came home from dinner at the Auntie's, we found a note on our door. It was from our next door neighbor, wanting to talk about our fence.

I hate our fence. It's a perfectly good, no maintenance chain link fence. Perfectly ugly. I would rather paint a wood fence every year than have chain link, but as it came with the house, I am stuck with it. Or so I thought.

John, our neighbor, purchased the house next door to us last year. He lives on the other side, and wanted a place for his step-father to live, so he offered to buy the house from the old owners, and renovated the heck out of it. The old owners didn't spend ANY money on it, so John had a lot of work to do.

He decided to replace the wooden fence on his property, and wanted to do the fence in between us as well. But as the fence is on our property, he needed our input and permission to do anything.

He called to say he had an opportunity to get the fence replaced this week, and that if we were OK with it, he would be replacing the chain link on our side at the same time. Here's the good neighbor part. We don't have to pay for it. John said that if we wanted to contribute we could, but if we couldn't, that was OK too. He knows that our funds are pretty limited while I am on maternity leave. He said that if we have more money next year, that we could give them something at that time. It was too generous an offer to pass up, so we agreed that they could go ahead.

The workers were here Tuesday and Wednesday, and it's just about done. It looks amazing.

This picture is from the company website - I only wish my yard was that green now.

It's vinyl, and maintenance free. And it isn't chain link.
After 6 years of a not-so-nice neighbor, it's a treat to have super nice ones instead.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

OOHHH! The fence will look so good. And just think when Lily can wonder off with markers to draw on the fence you know that you'll be able to wash it off!!

missmarble said...

If she does, then she will be told the story of her dear left handed Uncle Craig who as a child, took a marker and wrote a bad word on the basement stud wall, and then denied it. The word started with f and ended with k, and took Uncle Craig a really long time to sand off the 2x4.

Auntie Tracy said...

that would be cool if she was left handed ... its pretty hard to sand vinyl though .. Your neighbors DO sound nice ... I'd ask if you wanted to trade, but I wouldn't wish my noisy neighbors on ANYONE!

allison said...

We're hopefully going to get the same sort of fencing when our yard project is done!