Thursday, August 09, 2007

The Adventures of Lucy and Kevin.

Or, Lily and Evan.

I was watching Evan today while his mom went to a job discussion. Apparently it wasn't an interview, more like a talk about the job that she's pretty much going to have when she goes back to work.

I digress...

The three of us were hanging out at Boston Pizza while waiting for Keltie to finish up. Lily and I hadn't eaten, so I ordered some pizza bread for the kids, and an individual pizza for me. The kids devoured their goldfish crackers and dried fruit bars in record time. (I thought!) I guess I take it for granted that all kids are adventurous eaters like mine. Lily will try anything and everything we put in front of her. I passed her some pizza bread (Thin crust baked pizza dough brushed with garlic, olive oil and Parmesan.) and she chowed down. Evan had a completely different reaction - he poked it. Then he picked it up and put it down. Then he put it on his tongue. Then he took it out of his mouth and put it down again. Then he looked at me, as if to say "What the heck are you feeding me, Auntie Carrie?" So I dipped it in meat sauce and passed it back. That was the trick. He kept eating the pieces I gave him, pretty much matching Lily piece for piece.

A couple of sweet old ladies stopped at our table on their way out, asking how I managed to be left alone in a restaurant with 2 babies. I explained that Evan's mom was down the street at a job interview and that she would be joining us shortly. They asked the babies names, and ages etc etc, and gushed about how cute the babies were. I supplied the usual answers, and thanked them for telling me that my little girl is beautiful and that the little boy has a fantastic smile (and hair!). Then they went on their way, saying "Goodbye Lucy! Goodbye Kevin!" Lily, being polite, waved. Evan grinned and made what I can only describe as a boy noise. How is it that boys are born knowing how to make truck sounds, how to bang things and how to yell? Genetics are weird.

Keltie sprinted in, late, but it was no worry as I had managed to eat my lunch and keep both of the kids entertained while we were waiting. I had doled out the last two oranges from my Magic Bag of Mommy Supplies (aka a diaper bag that weighs as much as my kid...) so it was crunch time. She arrived just in time. Evan turned into more of a boy when his mom arrived, and then my little sensitive miss burst into tears when Keltie ran to use the phone. I guess she didn't want Keltie to go.

The kids were still doing really well despite being tied to a chair (Evan) and a stroller (Lily) for more than 2 hours. Lily started to fuss, so we got ready to leave, and that's when I discovered the carnage.

Under Evan's high chair was a lovely collection of goldfish crackers with the salt licked off and one part of the tail eaten, half-gnawed bits of pizza bread and various pieces of dried fruit bar. The rest of the fruit bar was stuck to the front of his jogging suit.

Lily had managed to turn a napkin into confetti, and had added a few goldfish to the mess, but for the most part, the food I gave her ended up in her. I have no idea where she puts it! That kid can eat and eat and eat.

All in all it was a great afternoon. Lily fell asleep in the car after a quick trip to the grocery store. My mom is making supper, so I don't have to cook - we're heading there as soon as I publish this post.

2 comments:

Keltie said...

It sounds like you had fun with Kevin and Lucy! Evan will eat most anything - but he does tend to overinspect it. He will eat fruit with the skin be will suck off the fruit...and then eat the skin.

Evan also fell asleep on the way home.

Dallas said...

Isn't it funny how two kids the same age can be so different?!?!

Sounds like an adventure, as is every day I'm sure!