Sunday, August 19, 2007

Hello again all,
It has been...quite some time since I last posted. But some monumental things have happened and I am definitely going to write about them. Two things in the last 2 days actually, my daughter Lily's' first birthday, and of course her first birthday party. I'll talk about the birthday party first. We invited a few people to come share our daughters first birthday; I think if we had better weather and a larger house we could have squeezed in several more. And the party was a rousing success, granted I was outside BBQing hamburgers for about an hour or so, and missed the small talk, but it did seem like everyone was having a good time. Especially my daughter, and well, being the guest of honor, that just seems fitting.

My lovely wife wrote a bit more about this in her post, which is why I am going to be brief.

More important of the two events, was the date of my daughters first birthday. Carrie has been outstanding, getting things ready, giving our front room a whole new look, getting supplies for the party, recovering from a nasty cold which I brought into the household; but that pales to the duty in which she has had for exactly a year.

Gestation aside, my lovely wife Carrie has been a mom for exactly a year; and basically this is the year end report. I couldn't be more pleased to have Carrie be my wife, and for her to be the mother of our wonderful daughter Lily. When I came home from work on Lily's birthday, I brought with me roses for Carrie; because to me, it's not only the celebration of my daughters birth, it is the day my wife gave birth to my daughter. Which has been profound in my life.
I have never had a year with more emotional highs than this last one and unfortunately with more emotional lows as well; I guess that's what being a parent is all about. But the highs definitely outnumber the lows by a good deal; when people talk about the joys of parenthood, a lot of them say it with a smile, a wink, a nod....occasionally a wink, wink, nudge, nudge, know what I mean, know what I mean. It doesn't detract from it, for the most part, parenting is a joy.
Even with the lows, this last year, has been the best of my life, and simply put, it is because of two wonderful women in my life, my wife Carrie, and my daughter Lily.
I love and adore them both.

5 comments:

Keltie said...

What a wonderful tribute to Carrie. I'm sure reading it made her cry.

missmarble said...

And it did. I love you so much sweetie. Thank you for being such a great dad and a wonderful husband.

Auntie Tracy said...

This was a beautiful post -- from a totally thrilled Husband and Dad !! You are all a wonderful family together !!

Anonymous said...

glad lilly enjoyed the day.

Kristie said...

I'm one of Carrie's mommy board friends and that had me in tears. What a beautiful tribute to Carrie and Lily. Beautiful.