Friday, September 26, 2008

Another year, another birthday blog.



Lily is off to her Buppa's today, so I can go to the spa for some much needed pampering.


Lily was over at my parent's place earlier this week. I don't usually work during the day, but Dad was available and the Despot needed me to help sort out some orders that were 3 weeks behind in follow up.


It was sweet - Dad had the basement set up like a classroom (missing school Mr Carbol?) with stations for reading, coloring, hiding, Fisher Price animals. They had a great day playing and eating and playing and going for coffee and more playing and eating. Toddlers and the retired really do have a great life.


I have myself booked in for a 2 hour pedicure. Yes, 2 hours. I can't wait - a summer of gardening, flip flops and rubber boots have left my feet in quite the state.


This birthday puts me on the other side of 35...I'm not sure how I feel about it, but then again, there is nothing I can do to change it, so right now I'm just going to comtemplate and reflect.


Here are some of the things floating around in my mind right now:


I'm nervous about the upcoming house projects. To get started, we have to do some fairly major mechanical stuff like replace the main electrical panel and arrange for a new furnace and water heater. Once this is done, we can get a bit further into the planning stage.


I have my fingers crossed that I will get a call about Lily's co-op Daycare program, soon. I have her on a (short!) waiting list to get into a FANTASTIC once a week daycare co-op. This will give me a blissfully child and worry-free day once a week to do whatever I want. It will probably be after Christmas, but sooner would be such a treat. I love the time that I get to spend with Lily, but in all honesty, I have forgotten what it is like to spend time with myself.

When I was single and completely oblivious to the demands a family puts on one's self, I used to spend my days off baking at home, (I can still do this, but it's hard to get cookies out of the oven with a suddenly clingy toddler that yells "Hugging!" at the exact moment the oven timer goes off.) or going to a movie by myself, or sitting in a coffee shop with one of the following a trashy magazine or a good book. It will be nice to go out and relax, knowing she's in good hands, and not worrying that I'm putting my mom or dad out. (Even though I know they love having her over - I still feel like I'm imposing sometimes.) Oh, and Lily will have a blast with the other kids. I will be the first to admit that my reasoning for putting her into the program was selfish on my part - I'm doing it for me first, and her second. We will both benefit, so it's a good kind of selfish.

My birthday list this year consists of 2 new shovels and a tree. That's it. I am happiest when I am outside in my garden with my girl. I am sad that I won't be able to play in the garden much longer. I am babying some new shrubs, and looking at what needs to be moved, but other than that, my garden is done for the season. I can't wait until spring to see how the new plantings look - dad and I eliminated half of my front lawn earlier this summer, and the transplanting is almost done. I scored amazing deals at the store - we're talking rosebushes for $1.75 and other shrubs for $.75. Yes, 75 cents. All guaranteed for a year. I love the end-of-season 75% off sale!

So Happy Birthday to me! I plan to have a lovely, relaxing day.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy, happy birthday! You're right on the mark about being single and oblivious to family demands - I really had no idea. Enjoy your relaxation day.

Jay said...

Happy Birthday!!!!!! Hope you enjoy your pampering, sounds lovely. :)

sleeplessnights04 said...

From the sounds of things; you had a very pleasant birthday! You are only four years ahead of me and I agree; you can't help getting older, but its what you make out of it that counts. I hope this years a good one for you and your family :o)