Wednesday, November 05, 2008

I am so excited!

I actually jumped up and down and squealed today.

Why, you ask?

A while ago I wrote about a daycare co-op program that I really wanted Lily to get into. On a gamble, I sent them and email asking if any spaces were available. I really didn't expect to hear back, but I did, and they told me the wait list for Lily's age group was 'not too terribly long'. I didn't ask what the definition of that was, preferring to be surprised. I expected to get a call after Christmas. Everything I have heard about their space and program has been amazing, and it's a tough one to get into. But, once you are in...

I was wrong - the call came today. She can start next Monday! We're going to start her on the 17 th, not the 10 th as we have to get a few things together and this week is super busy. After I spoke to the coordinator, I put the phone back on the cradle and jumped up and down and told Lily that she's going to school!

The program is a once a week, Mom's Day Out co-operative daycare. It's designed for parents that stay at home or work part time but still want a break without having to rely on family and friends to take the kids. The fees are super reasonable (Under $100 a month...I know...) Parents have to volunteer a day of their time, and do other duties related to running the program. It's going to be so much fun for her! She will be going on Mondays for now - if another day comes available, then I will try for that. I wasn't picky about the day that I wanted, on the hopes that it would get her into the program sooner and it worked. It's a learn by play based centre. The activities coordinator used to work for Disney Cruise lines - I have heard amazing things about her!

She'll be there from 9:30 to 3-ish. The only bad thing about Mondays is that many statutory holidays fall on Mondays - I'll have to ask how the fees work for those days.

While Lily is going to have so much fun playing with other kids, the one that will benefit the most from this is me. Yes, I am putting her in the program for mostly selfish reasons.

I need the 'Me' time. Even if it's for a few hours a week, it will make a huge difference. I am going to use this time to recharge. I promise not to use this time to pick up extra hours at work, to grocery shop, do laundry or clean my house. I have 6 other days to work on that. I hope to use the time to do fun things, like window shop on Whyte Avenue, or wander through the Art Gallery when it opens, or sit in a coffee shop and get back my writing. I will continue my search for a decent pedicure that doesn't cost $200. I may even treat myself to a massage. Yes, my mind will wander to what my girl may be doing, and my cell phone will be right beside me. I'm sure I will be checking the clock to see how close it is to pick-up time. But that's ok - she'll be in good hands.

5 comments:

Keltie said...

Yay!!!! I will be sure to hold you to that commitment of not working during your well-deserved you-time!

Dallas said...

Wooo Hooo!!! You're going to LOVE it..most of all Lily is going to LOVE IT!!

Brenda said...

How exciting - enjoy your free time! Sounds so luxurious....

sleeplessnights04 said...

Wow, way to go! Stirling's cooperative preschool is very time consuming; we've just finished up with two fundraisers and are working on grey cup tickets; I have six duty days this month, of my own choice I suppose; I must do ten in the school year, and I will have all of them done before the end of this year, yey! There's also some slient auction coming up in December argh the list goes on....:o(

missmarble said...

It's a pretty sweet deal - only one duty day per term plus one other parenting task. That's the great part about a once a week co-op I guess. And my duty day would be the same as Lily's care day, so it's not that bad.