Long Weekend
I know you have all been waiting for a long blog - here it is. (Bad blogger misplaced the charging cord to her new camera and couldn't take pictures...)
My dad has gotten quite cranky about long weekends at the lake. It has a lot to do with what I like to call the Common Red Necked Loon. Never heard of it? If you've been camping at a lake in Alberta, you've probably met a few. They are large, loud and raucous. They usually wear some kind of ball cap, usually backwards. They probably play Nickelback really loud on the stereo of their mud encrusted black F150. They set off random fireworks (just one or two) before sunset, just because. They belch loudly, crush beer cans and toss them where they may, and can't be bothered to collect their empties. The worst loons have ATV's or worse, a Sea-Doo. If they have a Sea-Doo, then they are required to ride said Sea-Doo around and around in circles in one spot in the bay. This is usually right in front of our cabin. It annoys my father greatly, which is why he avoids long weekends at the cabin. I think going all the way to France just to avoid the first long weekend of the season is a bit excessive, but that's his choice.
I missed Friday and Saturday of the long weekend, as I had to work. Lily and I hit the road early Sunday morning and were at the cabin by lunch time. We have different rules at the cabin, so Lily was thrilled to have a lunch of Princess Noodles and carrots.
We went for a walk, and did a bit of exploring. Lily built a twig bridge over the creek that runs into the lake.
She said it was for 'small animals and large or small birds' to get across the creek.
After that we decided it was too warm to play so we drove over to the campground for some ice cream. Lily enjoyed her strawberry cone, and I indulged in some chocolate peanut butter. Mmm!
We poked about the cabin for a bit, and then drove back in to town to have dinner with my grandma and Auntie Barb. Lily didn't eat a lot of supper (might have had something to do with the huge ice cream cone...) but she never says no to dessert. I love my Auntie Barb, but sometimes she makes me laugh. Parents - would YOU hand your 4 year old a can of spray whipped cream and trust that they would put it exactly where it needed to go? I didn't think so. I asked Barb to show Lily how to use the can.
Here is what happened:
We had a nice visit, and then headed back to the cabin. I always sleep the best when I am at the lake. I can leave the window wide open, and let Mother Nature's lullaby help me drift off to sleep. Frogs croaking, ducks calling across the bay, rustling leaves and rain on the metal roof. There is no better music.
In the morning I made bacon and pancakes and let her have more syrup than a 4 year old should be allowed to have in one sitting. She ate 4 pancakes and a lot of bacon. Mmm, bacon.
It was a good thing we had a hearty breakfast, as the weather was COLD! When we passed through town on the way to the lake, the temperature at Fyfe's Pharmacy said 31 degrees (in the sun). Not so much on Monday. It was raining and cold. Lily insisted on a nature walk to collect leaves. On the way out the door I took a picture of the thermometer.
Yes it was 5.5 degrees at noon.
After searching through the closet upstairs for some pants (guess which mom only brought shorts or capri pants wit?) and finding Lily's lake hat and mitten set, we set out for our walk.
(For the record, I was wearing sweatpants. With elastic bottoms. Since no one saw them, it didn't happen.)
Marsh marigolds and willows, so pretty!
We wandered through the Italian Quarter, and headed down the steps to the lake. Lily dodged puddles and mud while collecting her leaves.
We made it down to the lake, and listened to the silence. No loons, other than real ones. Lots of ducks, swallows, purple martins and robins were around.
| This is the view from in front of our cabin. |
We warmed up with a late lunch. Lily played quietly for a while, making all sorts of arts and crafts. Turns out she was a bit busier than I thought.
Later on I found this:
And this:
And then we spent the rest of the afternoon doing this:
We had an amazing, relaxing girls weekend. It was fun, but it was also nice to come home.

2 comments:
Love your story of the weekend, and it makes me wish I had such a sanctuary to escape to.
Thanks Dallas. It's an awesome place. I love having a home away from home.
Post a Comment