Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Dear Mother Nature,

This morning I noticed that there are leaves on my lawn. The Virginia Creeper vines I have been patiently growing to cover my unsightly chain link fence, have turned bright red.

The squirrel has been throwing pine cones down on the roof, and has been hiding said cones in my flower beds.

There will be frost tonight, according to the Environment Canada weather report. A low of -1.

Mother Nature, by the calendar, it's still summer. It isn't fall until after the 23rd of September.

I love the crisp fall air, and the crackle of dusty leaves underfoot. I love the smoky air, and the contrast of the red and yellow leaves against the clear cool blue sky. But not yet.

Let us have our last few glorious days of sunshine and a little heat. Consider it a birthday gift. I would love to be able to sit outside at a cafe on my birthday, sipping a latte while I answer the questions posed by my curious daughter's pointing finger. She will point and listen to my answers, and then wrinkle her nose at me while eating her snacks. She will steal my napkin, and ask for a sip of my latte. She will drop that same napkin, and watch it blow away in the fall breeze, squinting into the sun as we stroll back home.

Fall brings on the next round of family birthdays and anniversaries, and snow follows soon after. Please, let summer linger a bit longer. It's too soon for it to end.

Carrie

1 comment:

Keltie said...

PS - If you could make the mornings a little bit warmer, Mr.E and I would greatly appreciate it.