Monday, October 27, 2008

I am all for guerrilla gardening.



I have guerrilla gardened. I will guerrilla garden again and encourage others to do so. Make the world a beautiful place please!

But guerrilla composting?

This weekend, my compost bin went missing.

Who steals a compost bin?

I can understand (but not condone!) stealing a garbage can. I would rather someone steal my garbage can and USE it, than see bags of trash casually tossed over the fence. But composting requires a certain degree of commitment. What strikes someone to suddenly take up composting?

Compost is known as black gold to gardeners, but to make your own requires time and patience. You have to put the right things into the bin, and make sure it isn't too dry or too wet. You have to stir it up from time to time. My bin happened to be empty, as I had moved it for the Atco guys when they were moving my gas meter earlier this year. I dumped it all into a new flower bed, and left the bin empty in it's new location. I have always kept it just outside my garage, where it was easy to dump in grass clippings or other yard waste, so it's not like it was a new addition to the yard. I've had it for 8 years. It didn't cost a lot, maybe $40 when I bought it, so I really don't care about the expense. I'm just baffled as to why someone thought to take it.

So to whomever stole my composter - I hope you are a gardener, and that the black gold that will eventually come out will make your plants happy.

3 comments:

Keltie said...

Did it perhaps blow away?

missmarble said...

Despite the gale force winds on Saturday, none of my garbage cans, nor any of my neighbors garbage cans moved. I thought it might have been the wind, but after a jaunt up and down the alley, there was no composter. In fact, almost no one had stuff blown into the alley, just the people down the block that use Walmart shopping carts as their garbage cans. I know, classy.

sleeplessnights04 said...

Our fence blew down - we just built it with our neighbour two Halloween weekend - our neigbour had both fences to replace! Leave it to some green thumb to swipe your composter! If someone would like to steal mine; please do....I've run out of room after cramming two pumpkins in there, lol.