Thursday, June 01, 2006

So we are now 10 weeks away from Peanut's arrival.

I'm having mixed feelings about a lot of things right now.

Mostly I'm tired of work. I have 42 days of work left, and it can't end soon enough. This afternoon I was having a hard time dealing with selfish customers who believe the world will end if they don't get their carpet installed this week. Really, they all need to spend a day working in our environment, dealing with people who act like they do. I'm glad we are a bit isolated in the office, because the customers on the sales floor are even worse!

For example: The lovely gentleman who waited until the Monday of the May long weekend to buy a lawnmower - he began his conversation with "Does anyone work here?" and ended it with giving me the finger and stomping off. Turns out he had driven to 4 different Home Depot stores to find the mower he wanted, but didn't actually call ahead to any of them to see if they had what he wanted or if they could hold it for him. On the busiest day of the year. Which of course, was my fault...and all I did was ask him what he needed...I don't feel at all bad that my temper got the better of me and I returned his 'gesture' as he stomped off. Oops.

And the absurd... A customer came to our service desk yesterday to register a complaint with one of the girls. He was upset because he couldn't watch Mike Holmes from Holmes on Homes on TV "As much as he used to" and what were we going to do about it. While we sponsor his show, I don't think that Home Depot has a lot to do with how much airtime the show actually gets. Maybe his wife stole the remote and he was tired of watching reruns of Sex and the City. Here's hoping he gets Seasons 1&2 of Holmes on Homes on DVD for Father's Day.

This morning we were at the funeral service for Darcy's mom. One really can't say a funeral was nice, because they just aren't. It was hot, I was uncomfortable, and I felt awkward because I only knew Darcy and his wife Chris, and our friends Dave and Marnie. Darcy and Bryan have been friends for 26 years - that's a lot of history, a lot of memories and a lot of stories. It's strange being there to witness someone else's grief. There is no right thing to say, you don't know where to look or what to talk about. From what I remember of the last funeral I was at, my Grandma Carbol's, I know it doesn't matter what people say, just that they were there. So we were there for Darcy. By the end of the afternoon he was laughing and smiling, which is the Darcy I've gotten to know. In that respect, I'm glad we were there.

Bryan's been pretty introspective since he found out about Darcy's mom. I guess we're getting to the age when we start to lose parents...I forget that my parents are so much younger than most - they had us when they were in their early 20's. It makes you think about things. Especially when you are about to become a parent and realize that you are going to be someone's mom or dad. At least Bryan and I have discussed what we would want should either of us die. It's something I haven't really put any thought to until now, but with a baby on the way, one has to make plans for the best and for the worst to make sure everyone and everything is taken care of.

The first half of my day leads me to believe that the people I had to deal with in the second half all need a little perspective as to what is truly important in life.

No comments: