Thursday, December 21, 2006

I think that I am almost ready for Christmas. The tree is up and decorated, and the gifts are wrapped and ready to go. I have to purchase one last gift, for Santa's Anonymous.

When we were growing up, my Mom and Dad made sure we each purchased a gift for Santa's Anonymous. You don't really recognize what the season is about until you realize that your gift will be the only one that a child gets that year. When I was about 13, my Dad and I decided to volunteer to deliver some gifts for Santa's Anonymous. I imagine the process today is the same as it was then. (wow, that was over 20 years ago...) You show up, let the organizers know where you are able to deliver, take a list of addresses and the packages that go with them. After that, you get to go to homes, ring the bell, and pass the gifts on to the families that need them.

I can still remember some of the reactions of the people that we delivered gifts to. Some were grateful and humble, and some were excited and happy. Some seemed surprised to see us, and a few were expecting us, and accepted the gifts like they had done it before. And they probably had. It's sad to think that year after year, some families have to count on Santa's Anonymous to keep the wonder of Christmas alive for their kids. As a parent, I can't imagine having to explain to my child, that not only will there be no tree, but no gifts under it. That Santa won't be able to come to our house this year.

I'm glad that in some small way, I am able to put that joy back into a child's life. We don't have a lot to spare this year, but we still have more than some.

Merry Christmas everyone.

1 comment:

Keltie said...

You should write a book - even if it is just to say you did!