Friday, December 29, 2006

It was just over a year ago that we announced to our families that we were expecting.

Last year I was avoiding my mom so I wouldn't spill the beans early, I had morning sickness and I was beyond tired. I am so glad that's over with!

Lily's first Christmas was pretty special. We started out taking her to the late church service on Christmas Eve. She did ok, considering the service started at the same time she usually goes to bed. She squawked a bit, so I had to leave and listen to the service from the lobby. It was strange - I have only missed the candlelight service a few times in my life. (A couple of years we were at the lake, and the year I was in Toronto.) I didn't exactly miss this one, but it felt like I missed out on something, having to watch from the outside. Maybe next year we will go to the earlier service, so she's less likely to fuss. She was a doll at my Auntie Eleanor's - we always go back to her house for a late dinner after the service. My cousins oohed and aahed over her, and she soaked it up, even indulging us in a game of peek-a-boo.

Christmas Day was pretty normal, with me getting up early and Bryan looking at me like I was crazy. This is the only morning of the year that I get up before him. I woke up at 630 am. I can't help it, I love Christmas! I had some coffee, and we exchanged gifts before heading over to my parent's place for the day. Traditionally, we open stockings over coffee and then have breakfast. After breakfast, we hit the presents. As always, Santa was pretty good to everyone. Miss Lily was the star of the show, of course. She had no clue as to what was going on, and was happy to sit in her
Bumbo and play with the toys we kept handing her. Mom found her a Winkel, and my Dad bought her some books including Green Eggs and Ham. Speaking of green...Mom thought it would be fun to let Lily play with paper. Green tissue paper to be exact. Miss Lily had green lips, a green tongue and a green fist. Oops. It's a good thing baby wipes remove just about anything.

This was the first Christmas in the new house. I love that some things stayed the same - the order of operation for the day didn't change a lot. Until the afternoon, which is when we usually meet up with the Matter's for a bit of Christmas cheer. I don't even know when or how this tradition started, but we alternated houses for years. (It must have been when we were kids and our parents booted us out of the house, to go to Ekota hill with our CrazyCarpets.) Sometimes it was just to have coffee, sometimes it was a family brunch. Everyone compares gifts, shows off new toys and then we watch Dad and Wayne tease each other. Well, we watch Wayne tease Dad. I missed that this year. Dad mentioned that Sherry and Wayne were coming over Boxing Day for snowshoeing and a chili lunch. I suggested that the chili should be first...


I haven't seen the books yet, but the Matter's gave Lily a Christmas gift. They made mom and dad open them. My
Grandma is Wonderful is one, and the other is My Grandpa is Amazing. I'm sure my parents agree, because they are amazing and wonderful, and I hope that I do as good a job at being a parent as they did.

We had Bryan's family over for lunch on Boxing Day. Lily needed a break from evening festivities, so an afternoon visit was just right for her. She was spoiled again, lots of clothes and toys. She loves her Cookie Monster doll, and will have a lot of fun with her
Fisher Price Choo Choo when she is a bit older.

Now that the holiday is over, we are happy to be getting back into a routine. You don't appreciate how important a routine for a baby, until you throw said routine out the window for a few days. It makes for a tired mommy and a cranky baby. The Grinch dropped a cold off at our house, so we are all a bit under the weather. Lily has escaped the worst of it - she's just a little sleepy and clingy. Bryan and I are Sleepy and Sneezy. Later we'll be Dopey and Happy. Ahh, the bliss of a Nyquil induced sleep.

No comments: