Thursday, December 14, 2006

It was green and made of feathers and it was fantastic...

Yesterday Lily and I took the bus to West Edmonton Mall for our Stars and Strollers date. You can pretty much count on an interesting trip when taking public transit. The usual cast of characters was present. You know, the guy who engages you in conversation about the latest news headline, the mom wrestling her snowsuit-clad toddler into a seat, the senior with his old-man pants hiked high, the teenager with silly hair and sillier piercings, the person who always stands up at the front talking to the driver, or the guy who runs up to the bus and bangs on the door because he just ran down the block to catch the bus.

Well today, we had the penultimate transit experience. The bus stopped around 114th street, and a little old lady got on. The outfit was out of this world. Picture this if you will, a spunky little octegenarian wearing a pair of everyday pants, a moss green and red and purple sweater circa the Cosby years, paired with a 1970's belted cardigan in moss green with metallic gold flecks. She had on the standard old lady makeup, complete with drawn-on eyebrows. Topping this off was the most amazing hat I have ever seen. It was made of moss green feathers, and looked like an afro. I couldn't stop looking at it!




It gets better. One stop after the feather hat, an African-American lady with a real afro got on the bus, and sat beside her. I know...quite the contrast. THEN, another guy got on, took one look at the ladies, and commented - "Great afro!" I looked at the two ladies, wondering who would answer, and before the second one could say 'thank you', the octegenarian piped up "Why thank you, I've had this hat for years!"



I just laughed and shook my head. I searched in vain for a picture of a green feather hat, and found this instead. Just imagine it as moss green.



2 comments:

missmarble said...

My dad asked, if this was the penultimate transit experience, what was the ultimate?

For that I have to go wayyy back to my days living in the Centre of the Universe. Yes, Toronto.

In the big city, there isn't a lot of green space. As a result, people take their pets everywhere, including the subway and the streetcars. After a while one doesn't notice that there are dogs on the bus (insert cheesy Samuel L. Jackson movie line here...)

One day I was heading back home on the Queen Street eastbound streetcar, and a guy hopped into the seat in front of me. He settled in and plopped a duffel bag on the seat. The bag was moving. No big deal, I just figured he probably had a cat, dog or ferret in the bag. Nope. He unzipped the bag and pulled out...

A pigeon.

And no one gave him a second glance.

Ahhh, life in the big city.

(Green feather afro trumps flying rat)

Auntie Tracy said...

Man you get to have ALL the fun .. I would have loved to have seen that hat though ....