Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Ode to a Black Jacket


Have you seen my black jacket?
A jacket of black,
Whose presence I lack.

I had it once, for a short while,
Perhaps it was in a pile.
Of dry cleaning,
Driven around for a while.
Alone on a hanger,
Sent home with a stranger?

Have you seen my black jacket?
A jacket of black,
Whose presence I lack.

I had it once, for a short while.
It's not at the lake,
But would be nice to rake
Leaves in.
Perhaps in Barrhead,
In a closet, forgotten
While the Leader was read?

Have you seen my black jacket?
A jacket of black,
Whose presence I lack.

I had it once, for a short while.
I reget that my spouse
May have left it at the old house,
Eaten by a mouse?
In the very
Basement.

Have you seen my black jacket?
A jacket of black,
Whose presence I lack.

I had it once for a short while.
A bag of clothing
Flown in from China, afar.
Special delivery, laundry and ironing.
Packed and flown back to Beijing.
Left on a rack in a bar?

Have you seen my black jacket?
A jacket of black.
Whose presence I miss.

I had it once for a short while.
The memories of it
Bring a smile.
A quest to discover
The jacket, the cover
Of down and canvas.
Lost forever?

Have you seen my black jacket?




(for my dad...)

No comments: