Tuesday, January 23, 2007

So Bryan and I were guessing at how big Lily has gotten. My guess was 17 pounds 6 ounces, and around 27 inches. He agreed with me on her height, but had her pegged at 19 pounds 3 ounces (ouch!)

And the winner is....

Mommy!

She weighed in at 17 pounds 5 ounces, and measured 27 1/4 inches. She is still in the 90th percentile for her weight. I keep telling her to not sit on Evan... so she pulled his hair instead. Keltie was over for a visit today, and Lily forgot how to be gentle, and latched her fist onto Evan's hair. Not surprisingly, he didn't like having his hair pulled. He has a lot of hair, so from a temptation standpoint, Lily had no choice but to touch it! Someday, when Keltie and I are not looking, Evan will probably cut her bangs or stick gum in it. Then they will be even.

Back to the doctor's appointment, Lily is healthy and the doctor said she is doing well. I was ready for a 'discussion' about solid food, but it didn't happen. At her 2 month appointment, he told me I could start solids at 4 months, 5 months at the latest. Anyone who knows me, knows that I research everything. I had done reading about babies and solids, and the new Canadian and American Pediatric Associations recommend that babies get solids no sooner than 6 months. This is due to a number of things, mainly the fact that physiologically, a baby's digestive tract does not have the necessary digestive enzymes until they are around 6 months. Other reasoning is that if an infant is introduced (funny phrase... "Lily, this is a carrot. Carrot, this is Lily") to solids too soon, they stand a higher chance of developing an allergy to certain foods such as wheat, dairy, eggs, and some fruits. So we have been waiting on the solids. I told the doctor that we were 'working on it' when it came to food. It's not a lie. I have a book on making baby food, I let Lily play with her new spoons and bowls, and I bought some organic baby cereal for her. (Don't get me started on the crap they put in most commercial baby foods) She can sit in her high chair. But she is still nursing 100% and that's fine with me for the rest of the month. He asked if I was still nursing, and said that was good. He also said to continue to 'offer her a variety of foods', which I will do, through my own diet. She's obviously fine on the diet she gets, so my little white lie to the doctor is just fine with me.


Besides, she has had some solids. She ate 2 paper napkins this week.

3 comments:

Auntie Tracy said...

Mmmmmmmmmm .... Fiber! The longer you nurse, the better for her anyway -- it's a win-win situation ! 17 pounds .. wow she's getting big !!

Dallas said...

Nurse, nurse, nurse! It's the best for your baby! Go Carrie!

missmarble said...

Thanks gals! Now if I could just get her to take a bottle so my hubby and I could go on a date...