Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Things that make you go 'hmmmmm'

The last time I checked, stirrup pants were 'in' around, oh, 1984. Yet I saw a lady at the mall, sporting them. Which leads me to several questions. Why? Has she had those pants for over 20 years? If not, where did she get them? And why are they still being made? (And yes, I am guilty. I had the most amazing stretch stirrup pants in grade 8. They had green and pink cabbage roses on them and I wore them with my oversized sweater from Fairweather and I thought they were fabulous. My auntie Barb bought them for me, at WEM when it was only in phase 1.)

What makes a grown man wear a pretty pink and purple parka? At the same mall the stirrup pants lady was at, I walked past a senior wearing a bright pink and magenta down coat. Maybe he is color blind and thinks it's a different color. Perhaps it was his wife's coat, that he had on by mistake. Maybe it was a gift, and he was wearing it out of obligation. Oh well, he looked good in it.

How did this man get out of his house with his shoes on the right feet, let alone catch his bus? I was taking the bus home from Keltie's yesterday. We hopped on at Jasper and 124th st. I had Lily strapped to my chest in her swanky new
sling, and was pushing her SUV stroller. The other passengers riding up front flipped the seats out of the way so I had stroller parking, and another lady asked if I wanted a seat. I said I was ok, but she got up anyway, and kind of elbowed the guy sitting beside her to say - "Hey, get up for the lady with the baby." He looked at me and said (I am not making this up....)

"Oh, I didn't notice that you had a baby."

I was so shocked (and amused!) that I blurted out

"Well, the stroller kind of gives it away."

before I could help myself.

3 comments:

Auntie Tracy said...

Maybe he thought you were just taking a stroller for a walk ... ?? I saw a lady (person?) at the Costco on 149 Street the other day wearing leg warmers -- talk about flashbacks !!

Dallas said...

Oh...I was thinking of getting a hotsling. Is it as nice as it looks??? I was thinking of getting one for baby #2.

I love reading your blog. Keep it up!

missmarble said...

Dallas - it's awesome! But I would recommend going to Bosom Babies to get fitted for one. The lady there tried a Hotsling on Keltie, but found a different one that fit her better. I had a ring sling before and really didn't like it, and the Hotsling was perfect when I tried it on. If Paige still likes to be carried, she can show you how a sling would work for her - the hotsling is good till 35 pounds...