Friday, March 09, 2007

Two stoned...


After enduring 6 hours of extreme discomfort, I had my dad take me into the emergency room yesterday. I had called my mom at work, and let her know what kind of symptoms I was having. Abdominal pain, tightness in my back, nausea, unable to keep anything down, and I couldn't lie down. It started at 5 am, and didn't let up until 11 am. Mom thought it was a gall bladder thing, and that I should come in, so I did. By the time I got to the ER, the attack had subsided, but I wanted to get checked out anyway. The doc that saw me listened to my symptoms, and asked a few questions and agreed that it was probably related to my gall bladder. Then he told me that I needed an ultrasound, and that I could go to any clinic that did them. What? Why not the hospital that has the techs and the equipment right there? The clinics are booking months in advance, but the doc seemed to think that I could get an appointment for a couple of days from now. I told him I wanted it done in the hospital. He tried pushing the outpatient thing, but I said I didn't want to do that, and that I wanted it done there. He said he would try, and came back a few minutes later. He said the hospital could do it, or I could come back tomorrow as it would be a couple of hours wait. I said I would wait. I'm glad I persevered on this point, as the 1 hour ultrasound showed that I have gall stones. The same doc came back, and said he would send my chart, ultrasound and bloodwork to a surgeon, and that I needed to set up a consult. So I will probably have to have surgery.


My only experience with surgery was half a lifetime ago, when I was 17, to remove my wisdom teeth. The only time I have had to stay at the hospital was when I had Lily. I'm a bit freaked out about having to have the surgery (if that's what the doctor thinks is the best option) and about what will happen to Lily while I am in the hospital. I think, but I am not sure, that this is done as day surgery. If it is, then Bryan and my mom can tag-team on taking care of her during the day. If I have to stay overnight, then it's a whole different ball game. She is very picky about taking a bottle, and has only recently taken milk from a cup. I am adamant that she will never receive formula, so we will have to figure out some nursing options while this is going on. She has started solids, but nursing is her primary source of food and will be for a while. I don't know if the anasthetic used will be compatible with breastfeeding. I don't know how I will feel after surgery - will I be allowed to lift her? She weighs over 18 lbs right now. I don't know how long it will take to recover.

I have a long list of questions to write out for the surgeon - my appointment is on March 28th.

So now we have two stoned family members - Bryan's kidney stones, and my gall stones.

No comments: