Monday, March 05, 2007

I am currently amusing myself by engaging in a small email battle with Cineplex Odeon. As you know, I attend the Stars and Strollers movie screenings every two weeks. These outings are always good for a story or two. Usually the stories come from things that occur on the bus. Keltie could elaborate too. Some of our adventures result from interesting happenings at the mall.

As of late, the movie selections have been a bit of a disaster. We saw Catch and Release last month. Then two weeks later the selection was advertised as Casino Royale. But when we got to the theatre, they had changed the selection to...Catch and Release. (Guess they caught it again?) We protested at the box office and were allowed to go see Music and Lyrics instead. Keltie and I joked that we would have to watch it again at our next screening. Not so, as the selection was The Number 23. I checked the remainder of the selections for the month and they are:

Zodiac
The Number 23
The Astronaut Farmer
Wild Hogs

I noted that there seemed to be a serious lack of chick flicks in this (in my opinion) testosterone-laden selection, and pointed it out to the powers-that-be at Cineplex. I was told

"We do not consider films like “The Astronaut Farmer” and “Wild Hogs” to be exclusively “guy” movies. Studio tracking indicates that as a drama and comedy respectively, these films are drawing a female audience."

Probably because their wives are attending the movie with them!

The plot synopsis for Wild Hogs, on the Cineplex site, reads:

Tim Allen, John Travolta, Martin Lawrence and William H. Macy hit the road in this rollicking comedy-adventure about a group of middle-aged friends who decide to rev up their routine suburban lives with a freewheeling motorcycle trip. Taking a long dreamed-of breather from their stressful jobs and family responsibilities, they can’t wait to feel the freedom of the open road. When this mis-matched foursome, who have grown far more used to the couch than the saddle, set out for this once-in-a-lifetime experience- they encounter a world that holds far more than they ever bargained for. The trip begins to challenge their wits and their luck, especially during a chance run-in with the Del Fuegoes, a real-life biker gang who are less than amused with their novice approach. As they go looking for adventure, they soon find that they-re embarked on a journey they will never forget.

But it's not a guy movie.

2 comments:

Jay said...

I totally agree with you. I haven't been going to Stars and Strollers because none of the movies are really girly films. Everything has been a violent, thriller, scare the crap out of you movie. The last one I saw was The Holiday, at you guessed it, during the holidays. Needless to say the theater was packed, and I overheard several ladies saying they were glad there was finally a chick flick. Enough said.

missmarble said...

Glad we're not the only ones Jay! Send them an email, I'm sure that he would love to hear more about this!