In a few hours my "little bother" as Dad likes to call him, will be home. I was thinking about this visit a lot today. It will be so good to see him, and I will appreciate the distraction from how I feel.
I have a lot of time to think as I have little energy to do much more. I'm still having issues with nausea and the dreaded morning sickness, and I'm pretty tired. I think this is starting to pass, as I feel a bit better, and I'm getting some of my energy back. I didn't expect to be so fatigued, and I certainly didn't expect the sick part. Mom said she didn't have any issues with this when she was pregnant with either of us - I naively hoped that it would be the same for me. It was not to be.
My search for relief has led me to discover several things...
1: The person that named it morning sickness never actually experienced it. It happens all day and a good part of the night.
2: Saltines and gingerale are for sick people. It will be a long, long time before I eat saltines again.
3: Been-there-done-that moms that share tales of their morning sickness perils forget that those stories can make a new mom-to-be even more nauseous.
4: Ginger Altoids are a gift from heaven. Thank you to my hubby for ordering a whole bunch on line, even when they cost nearly $6 a tin after shipping from the States.
5: While there is no such thing as Meals On Wheels for Dads-to-be, there should be. Poor Bryan has been shopping in the forbidden frozen-food-in-boxes aisle lately. Usually the only items we buy from that section are frozen veggies, ice cream and popsicles.
6: My mom has been great - from making me food that I can eat, to calling me at work to ask if she can buy me ginger, she's been very supportive. I still think she's in shock - our announcement at Christmas sent her for a bit of a spin!
7: My fridge causes me a great deal of distress. I am convinced that it's presence in our home is the cause of my problems. I can't look at it, I can't even be in the room when Bryan opens it. It's a very, very bad appliance. The freezer part of it is just fine however, which contributes to Bryan's theory that I have been kidnapped by aliens and brainwashed into thinking completely irrationally at times.
8: I appreciate my ability to nap anywhere, anytime. (Thank you Grandpa, for that trait!) I have a pillow and blanket stashed in my car for lunch hour naps.
9: Last but not least - I have an amazing and very, very patient husband. He has been so supportive and comforting. From making sure I have a clear path to the bathroom, to making my lunch (so I can avoid the dreaded fridge), to eating his dinner in the computer room with the door closed so I can't smell it, to waiting for me to walk the long way down the grocery store aisles so I can avoid the meat department, to making me tea - I am a very lucky woman to have him. I love you honey!
I am told this gets easier as time goes on. I hope it does, as I would like to enjoy the next 6 1/2 months, and not dread the mornings. There has to be a light at the end of the trimester...
Saturday, January 14, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment