It's not particularily challenging work, especially when you work on New Year's Day and all people want to know is
A) What time you are open until
B) Where the lightbulbs/batteries/garbage bags are
C) Where the washroom is
The answers were 6, over there halfway down the right hand side (this is an all purpose answer that works for most things at the store!) and all the way to the back. (Alternatively, they could look up at the GIANT sign that says "Washrooms" and follow that.) I still think we should just stencil toilets and arrows on the floor to lead them to the right spot. It's that or I send them all to aisle 53, which doesn't exist.
Tomorrow I work on the switchboard, which means I get to answer silly questions BUT I get to make faces and roll my eyes when the silly questions are asked because they can't see me! It's very very hard not to give the answers I want to sometimes.
"Hi, I'm just wondering what time you are open until?"
"Six o'clock"
"Are you sure?"
"Yes, we ARE open until 6" is the correct answer.
What I really wanted to say:
"No I'm lying to you, we've been closed since 2."
"Actually we aren't open, they just asked one of us to stay here to answer the phones all day."
"Are you calling me a liar? Of course I'm sure."
Instead, I play nice, mentally roll my eyes and wait for the next call. Which rolls out the exact same way as the previous call. If I could have kept a straight face, then I would have pretended to be a recording, stating the store hours, and asking the customer to press 95642 if they wanted to speak to a person.
"Thank you for calling the Home Depot. Our New Year's Day store hours are 10am to 6pm. Regular store hours resume on Friday the 2nd of January. To speak to an associate, please press 95642 now."
*95642*
"Sherwood Park Home Depot"
"Hi, just wondering what time you are open until?"
Sigh...
3 comments:
Nice to hear that nothing has changed about working the service desk at Home Depot
Oh god I miss the faces these calls used to incite ... but your faces were always so much better than mine !!!
Today people were asking "May I ask what time you are open until?" and I REALLY REALLY wanted to say "No" and hang up.
Post a Comment