Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Meg and I had an interesting night at the service desk tonight...

Customer:

I need this blind cut but I'm not confident that your staff will cut it to the right size. She doesn't know how to use her tape measure.

Us:

What do you mean?

Customer:

She doesn't have a tape measure with centimetres on it.

Us:

All the blinds and cut goods are sold and measured in inches.

Customer:

We are in Canada, aren't we? (Hands us a sheet with dimensions in cm) I need this cut in centimetres. She doesn't know how to convert this.

Us:

(Meg) I don't know how to convert either. We are provided with tape measured in inches.
(Me) Most building materials are measured in Imperial sizes, not metric...

Customer grabs her paper and leaves.

Sigh. We really wanted to help her. But we didn't have a metric knife to cut her blinds.

3 comments:

Keltie said...

Perhaps the customer could do the conversions herself...but that would mean taking on the responsibility of any errors made in the conversion.

Jay said...

I live in Canada and I use inches, sheesh! I agree, self convert, or measure in inches.

sleeplessnights04 said...

cms is what is supposed to be used in Canada as we were taught as kids - but inches are universal, especially when it comes to construction materials; she must live in a small remote area of the universe; somewhere past Pluto :oP