Someday, I will get a day off. Maybe when she's 18.
I was excited for this morning, as the Christmas break from daycare was over. Woohoo! Free day for mom!
Or so I thought. When we walked in, Gidget asked if we had a long sleeved shirt or sweater for Lily. We didn't, because they asked us to keep the kids in short sleeves to avoid play/painting messes. Gidget recommended that Lily keep her coat on because the heat in the school was barely working and they needed to keep the kids warm until the repair man came. Hey, no problem, all the other kids were in their coats so Lily thought it was fine. Repairman was due any minute, all seemed fine.
I went to the Second Cup, had a coffee and some breakfast, read a magazine and casually made my way home.
I let Bryan know about the heat issue, and grabbed a book and hopped in the bath tub. After about 20 minutes, the phone rang.
"Hello? No, she's in the bath right now. Yes it is. Yeah, she told me about it. Oh. OK. Yeah, I'll let her know."
(I would love to know why my husband always feels the need to tell people that I am in the bath/sleeping when he could just as easily have told them I was BUSY! At least he didn't hand the phone to me while I was in the tub. He often comes in to the bedroom while I am napping and hands me the phone...)
That was the call I was dreading. Still no heat, please come get your Popsicle of a girl. Because I knew she would not keep her coat on. She's that kind of kid. And sure enough, when I came in, her coat was in a pile on the floor, her hat beside it, and she was an interesting shade of purple. Some of that was paint, the rest was cold kid with pale skin.
We headed off to Value Village to search for some fabric for her new quilt. I found a great Martha Stewart twin sheet for $3 and another plain white one for $5 - these will be the backing and additional fabric for the quilt face. Can't beat well washed cotton bedsheets for cheap fabric!
We headed home where Lily ate her school lunch and had an excellent nap while I worked on her new quilt. I promise to post pictures of it, and her new room when it is all done. We have the floors and the painting done, still need to complete trim work and final touches.
Bryan called in to work today, and they did say they have a job for him. They just don't know when they can schedule him in. I'm hoping for next week. EI still hasn't paid him, so if Lehman can find 2 or 3 shifts a week then at least we have that coming in. I certainly can't handle working this much any longer. See yesterday's post for my thoughts on being away from home.
It was still a good day, just not the one I had planned for.
I told Lily I was running away to join the circus. She said she would like to come too...
Monday, January 05, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh my husband does that too. I guess he is being honest, but really, does anyone need to picture me naked in the bathtub? Yay for Bryan having some work, thats awesome!
Evan's daycare has never asked to bring him wearing shortsleeves. They just roll them up or put a smock on...or he just gets dirty. What about layers - short sleeve shirt and a sweater?
Glad to hear that some work is coming up for Bryan.
Thanks ladies!
Jay - that's my thought too. Does anyone REALLY need to know what I am doing? My payback will be when Lily answers the phone and tells someone her daddy is busy pooping...
Keltie - She had layers on - an undershirt and a t. Normally it's super warm in there, on purpose. Because they have a different set of kids each weekday, they don't have smocks for them - they would have to have almost 100 spare sets of clothes/paint smocks! I tucked a spare fleece jacket into her clothing bag for next time, but she will take it off anyway...because she can.
All of these feelings are normal; they come and go. Hope that heat gets fixed soon for your sanity :o)
Post a Comment