Saturday, January 15, 2011

N is for






Nebelung

This lovely old man is our Leocat. Lily thought he needed help with his nap today, so she accessorised him.

We think he's a Nebelung, which is apparently a rare breed. If you go to Google Images here you will find that while we are out at work, Leo has been posting pictures of himself on the 'net. Time for some parental control software, I think.

I bought him in a pet store without any regard to breed. He picked me by crawling up on my shoulder, licking my nose and then curling up in my arms. I was in the process of moving across the country to Toronto, and wanted to have a pet, so I stopped in at the pet store at the mall and the rest is history.

He has been the most amazing companion. He is very affectionate and social for a cat. His purr warms my heart and his fluffy 15 pound of cat-ness warms my feet at night. If he really really loves you, he will very carefully and gently bite the end of your nose.(The first time Leo did this to Bryan, Bry gave quite a yelp and wondered what he did to make Leo bite him. Guess I should have told him about all of Leo's quirks.)

Leo's patience with a 4 year old that loves him THIS  (holding hands very far apart)  much is quite amazing. She's better at reading his body language now; she learned the hard way what flattened ears mean. He has never hissed at her or been mean to her. Like any animal that has had enough, he does give her a warning now and then. Cries of

"Leo bit me!"

 are usually followed by one of us saying

"What did you do to him? Well, I would probably bite too, if someone stuck a finger in my ear. Don't bother the cat."

 He checks on her at night, and waits for her to help feed him his weekly treat of Fancy Feast turkey every Saturday and Sunday. If she's sick, he will sit beside her and keep an eye on her.

He's 15 now, I know we won't have him forever, but I sure wish we could. He is the best grey cat I know, and I love him.

Project 365 -14

No comments: